Looking for Something Specific? Search it Here

The First 5 Things You'll Want to Know About Tablet Computers

The First 5 Things You'll Want to Know About Tablet Computers

If you're new here, or to Tablet PC's, there's a few things you should know. A few bits of information we should get out of the way first...

1. The Tablet I use is a PC, Not a Mac
Everything but the iPad is Windows based. Mac's tablet the iPad is more like a giant iPod Touch, it wasn't designed to have a stylus/pen input, but there are several apps for that now, but you can either type (using the virtual keyboard) or use your finger to write. Also, the only way you can get anything on the computer is through email, there are no input ports, but i understand on the iPad 3 that might have changed. But don't dispare, this is only the third version of the Mac tablet, and only the first since Steve Jobs passed, so there's bound to be a bit of a shake down cruise since he's gone, and they'll probably come out with one that has a few more input choices. In the mean time, there is an after market/third party 'upgrade' you can get that will turn a MacBookPro into a tablet computer, but I'm not sure of the cost. (If you're interested in that, leave a message here, or better yet email me at tmoodyca@roadrunner.com and I'll hook you up with people in the know about such things), i will tell you that from what i have seen it partitions the harddrive so that you can run both Mac & Windows. So you'd still be running Windows programs just on a Mac machine.

2. What Kind of Tablet is Right for Me?
There's two different types of Tablet PC's. A slate tablet, and a convertible. The slate does NOT come with a keyboard but is usually lighter in weight, but a bit more expensive. The convertible allows the screen to swivel all the way around and lay flat on top of the keyboard. These are a bit heavier (although not by an enormous amount), but they cost less. Poke about in this blog to find some of the manufactures of both types of computer, or contact me via email at the above address.

3. Using Tablet PC's On-Set
Every Tablet PC comes with the program - Windows Journal, Journal Note Writer, or something like that, in it. The name varies, but it's exactly the same program & Script Supervisor's can use this program to take their notes AND line their pages. It does NOT turn your handwriting into text. You can enter text in this program, it just takes a few more menu scrolls and pen clicks, but it can be done. You'll have to decide if it's worth the effort. Other programs I know Script Supers to use are Excel, Filemaker Pro, Access, Adobe Acrobat, & Bluebeam Revu (more about those last two in section 4.)

4. PDF Readers & Printers
You may not know what it is, but you're going to need it. It's a program (or programs) that will allow you to read and print your pages and forms into PDF. PDF is a universal format that every computer, both PC and Mac, can view. There's a couple of different ways to achieve this, some more expensive than others, but all viable ways to go. The Acrobat Reader is free and easy to download, but that's just about all it does. And there are several programs out there that are just PDF printer drivers and those are either free or at a nominal cost. Or you can go with a couple of different PDF Editors. These allow you to read, print and manipulate PDF files. The two most well known are Adobe Acrobat, and Bluebeam Revu. I believe both have a 30 day free trial that can be downloaded from their websites. (There are other PDF Editors out there, just Google for a list.) These can be used to take your notes and to line your pages as well. However there is a little bit more of a learning curve involved with all of them.

5. eBay - A cheaper way to shop
Ok, you've decided to jump in and do the deed, but you're a little tight on cash. Or you're still a bit skittish about the whole thing because you're a Mac and it's a PC. Here's my recommendation: go eBay. First you're gonna want to do a bit of research. Find the make and model of computer you like (HP, Lenovo, Motion Computing, Dell, Tablet Kiosk, etc.), then I suggest going to Fry's or Best Buy, or Sears, and basically fondling the merchandise. Find something that you like the feel of, the weight of. You like the way the pen writes on the screen. See what software it comes with (Microsoft Word, or Excel, etc.), what hardware (external hard drive, or keyboard, etc.). Find the one that's right for you. Do NOT skip this step, I know the research is often the boring part, but in this case it's important. You are going to have to spend at least 12 1/2 hours a day with this machine, and a fairly large chunk of money, so it should be something you like. After you've researched it and found the machine of your dreams, then head to eBay. First just see what they have to offer in tablets, you might find something you didn't know about. Then get down to business, and look for that one computer that will make your life complete. Now you might have to settle for last years model (so make sure you get the name and numbers correct), but if it comes at a significant discount (on the order of one half the price or so) you'll have a decision to make.

So there you are, the first five things you need to know. Go forth and compute.

Friday, May 8, 2009

A Little About Me

Welcome to my blog. You might be in for more than you bargained for here, i'll do what i can to keep from flying off into wild tangents. But I make no promises.

This is blog is going to be a place where you get a small glimpse of what's going on in my head at the moment. So bring your flashlight, it's dark and spooky in here.

I'm going to be posting things i think you might find interesting if you're looking to, just thinking about or already are working on computer. So check back frequently. I surf all the time, and i'm always find cool things to look at.

But first, a little about me:

I've been a Script Supervisor since approximately 1990. Been making an exclusive living at it since 1992. Like many of us who do this job I learned by watching and doing. I did end up taking a class at a local University just to make sure I had some idea of what I was doing, but it pretty much covered what I already knew. I really like this job. Now that's not true every single hour of every single day, but most of the time. Ok, maybe it's more of an average amount of time. But it's never boring. Even on those days, I find myself longing for boring...

Anyway, about 10 years ago, I started hearing rumors about Script Supers on computer, and I was very interested. I've always liked playing with computers, playing ON computers, the whole deal. Now these folks were using laptops, because that was all we had back then (scary to say 'back then' about computers...) but I started doing a bit of research and found these new things called Tablets. A tablet is a computer that does not use just a keyboard to enter information, but also uses a stylus or pen to write right onto the screen. As if it was a piece of virtual paper! That sounded too cool to be true.

Unfortunetly at the time it was too cool to be true. The tablets that were available were just not robust enough to handle life on a television/movie set.

But that has changed. In a big way. There are many choices now, there are the convertibles (a laptop/notebook where the screen swivles around to lie flat on top of the keyboard) as well as the original slate tablets (no keyboard attached). The latter is the kind I was trained on, the kind I bought for myself. But I know many people that use the convertibles, and I don't think any less of them. Most of the time.

How did I come to use this device, you might be asking yourself? Well it's a pretty short story actually. I started calling other Script Supers that were using computers on set, and poking about on the web, and one thing led to another and approximately 6 years ago I ended up seeing a very interesting system being test driven on a tv pilot. The system creator invited several Script Supervisors to come check out what he had set up and I jumped at the chance. We got a full tour and I was thrilled. Although the system looked very cool it never really got going, mostly because of the cost and the extra staff it required. But the Script Super on the shoot had this awesome slate tablet, and I think I fell in love right then and there.

Now the Script Super on that show wasn't terriblly thrilled with the entire process, but I think that had to do with the fact that it had kind of fallen to her to teach the computer folks how a production is actually run. A lot was piled on her, and she was a bit stressed. I think after that show she set the computer down and walked away. I'm happy to report that she has since picked it up again, is on her 2nd or 3rd computer, and is happily shooting a cable tv series. Completely digitally.

But I digress. As i said, nothing much happened with the system, and since the creator had led us to believe that the software the tablets were using was not for sale, that sort of ended things for me for a bit. About 2 years later, I hear of a Script Super using a tablet on a tv show that I was the occasional third call for (if the first 2 Script Supers she called weren't available, i'd get the call). I called her and asked her, first if my info was correct, (it was) and second, could i coome see this tablet in action (i could).

I couldn't get down there fast enough. I walked on set to find her using the exact same machine as the original Script Super, that she'd been trained by the original Script Super, and that she'd been doing this WITHOUT having to use the entire system we'd seen 2 years ago. I was having a very hard time breathing. I could actually see myself doing this, and it was amazing. The first thing the Script Super did was hand me one of the tablets (she had two) and after running through some basics said, "play with it for awhile". I did, for about an hour and a half. I was in love. I wanted one of my very own. And i told her that. She smiled and said, 'so you feel comfortable with the computer?' I said that i did, so she handed me a flash drive (jump drive, thumb drive, all the same thing) and said, 'the script we're shooting is on there. load it into the computer, and set it up like it's the beginning of your work day. you can shadow me for the rest of the day.' I agreed but made her go over the basics again (i'd been so eager to get my hands on the computer i'd only half listened the first time), and then sat with her and worked as if i was the SS for the show for the most of the rest of the day. I was so excited, i could hardly sit still. this was amazing. i was doing exactly what i always did, only on a computer screen. i told her she might have a hard time prying this thing out of my hands at the end of the day.

So we're coming down to wrap and she turns to me and asks, 'so you feel good about this computer? you feel like you know what you're doing? you feel like you could do our job on this thing?' I assured her i was very able, and had been sitting, mentalling counting up my pennies to see if i could afford one. Then she hit me with the bombshell. 'So, would you want to fill in for me in three weeks for 4 days?' I said, 'on 1st Unit?' she said 'yes'. I stammered, 'Suuurrrreee.' And promptly became convinced that I would never figure out how to use this device as long as i lived. But i did it. Those 4 days were the longest year of my life . But by lunch of the first day, i was in love all over again. The damn thing even crashed on me, and i was tickled pink. I had had it crash, crash and i was just fine!! I was so pleased with myself i was insufferable for weeks.

Alright, so were does that leave us? Well last year, the same SS, now on a different show, asked me to come be her 2nd unit SS, because she had a second computer, and i'd get to use it for the run of the series. Of course I leaped at the chance. It was a big show and i had lots of days, most of them on location. And usually a hot, dusty, unpleasent location. I enjoyed every second of it. Mostly because of the crew, but also because I didn't have to go near a copy machine the entire 6 months i did the show. Not once. I was in heaven. And at the end of the show, i bought my own tablet, and we been happily co-habitating ever since.

So, the bottom line is this: I love, love, love, my tablet computer. I never, ever want to go back to pen and paper again. And if i can help answer any of your questions about this or anythihng computer related I am happy to do so. If i don't have the answers, i'll help you find someone who does. Because that old paper thing is so last week.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you all soon.


Script Witch

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog and you might find some interest over at my site too, I'm also a big tablet fan and user with focus on new medical devices and technology.

    http://ducknetweb.blogspot.com

    aka the Medical Quack

    ReplyDelete